Our History
(Adapted from The Witness: The History of the German Reformed Churches in Central Pennsylvania, forerunner of the United Church of Christ churches of Northern Association of the Penn Central Conference. G.E. Shawda, editor)

The land on which the village of Hublersburg stands was still a wilderness in May 1832, when Jacob Hubler, the owner, had the land surveyed for building lots. Farms were being cleared in the area and by the time the Reformed Congregation at Snydertown dissolved its union with the Lutheran Congregation, Hublersburg was a thriving community of rural trade and business.

When the Reformed Congregation left Snydertown, its members, who lived in the eastern section of the valley, joined with members of the Salona congregation and formed the Mt. Bethel Congregation. The balance of the Snydertown Congregation moved into Hublersburg and began plans to build a church in that village. Rev. Millet, pastor of the Snydertown Congregation, continued to serve these people until 1873. Rev. Henry D. Darbaker became the pastor but remained only one year.

The building of the new church moved slowly during this transition period. On May 1, 1875 Joseph Kessinger deeded a piece of land to the German Reformed Church. This is presently the west side of the church ground and the site of the present church. On September 5, 1976 Henry Brown deeded a narrow strip of ground along the east side of the building. Rev. George P. Hartzell was called to the Nittany Valley Charge in 1876 and it was during his pastorate that the new church building was completed and on October 1, 1876 dedication services were held.

In 1882 Rev. Hartzell resigned and the same year Rev. David O. Shoemaker was called to the Charge. After eight years Rev. Shoemaker resigned and F. W. Brown served the people for three years. Rev. Charles M. Smith was called in 1894 but stayed only a short time, leaving in 1896. The same year, Rev. James Runkle was called. His ministry was pleasing to the people and at a secret Joint Council Meeting, a vote was approved to give the pastor an extra $50 for his work during the year of 1897.

Each year the little congregation grew so that when H. I. Crow became the pastor in 1900 there were 115 members enrolled. The German Reformed Messenger in November 1901 records that Rev. Crow had served Holy Communion to his five congregations during the last two Sundays in October, and the first three in November. The weather had been fine and the attendance good. Offering for benevolence at Hublersburg had been $37.50. Since the last communion the congregation had lost elders, John Miller and Jacob Dunkle who had served 30 years.

Jacob Dunkle willed a farm to the Trinity Reformed Church. For some years the congregation endeavored to have the land farmed, but it was difficult to find people who would be responsible for the work and the farm was eventually sold in 1949. The money received has since remained in a trust fund from which the congregation receives the interest each year.

In 1909, the West Susquehanna Classis ordered Hublersburg to be removed from the Nittany Valley Charge. At teh same time the Zion Church was to be removed from the Bellefonte Charge to be joined with Hublersburg in a new charge. This action was taken and in 1910 the Hublersburg Charge was formed. At the time of the merger with Zion, Trinity congregation had 157 communicant members. Rev. Crow continued to serve the Hublersburg Charge for one year. He had resigned as pastor of the Nittany Valley Charge at the time of the changes authorized by Classis.

In 1912, William A. Hoover was called as pastor of the Hublersburg Charge. He remained until 1916. In 1917, Rev. Charles H. Faust was called. It was during his pastorate that a new parsonage for the Charge was purchased for $2500. Rev. Faust left in 1921 and for three years they were unable to secure a pastor. Finally, in 1924 Harry A. Hartman accepted a call to the Charge. By that time the membership at Trinity Church had dropped to 80 members. Rev. Hartman remained seven years. His successor was James B. Musser. In 1934, Mrs. D. McCormick deeded a lot to the church which lies to the east of the church building. In 1935 the congregation purchased the I.O.O.F. property which was to be used for social activities. In the same year, 'Homing Day' was celebrated (700 people were present). This was the beginning of the annual "Thanksgiving Dinner" in which the congregation offered the public a home cooked dinner at a reasonable price. The dinner became well known throughout the country for its good food and large menu.

Rev. Musser resigned in 1940 and the following years, Rev. Charles Link became the pastor. He remained three years and was pastor during the merger of the Evangelical and Reformed Churches. Rev. Warren O. Ziegler came as pastor in 1945 and remained three years. He was followed by Rev. Richard W. Johnson in 1949 and he, also, remained three years. These short term pastorates were difficult for the congregation. Each time a new pastor came there were many adjustments to be made. It was only in their unity and in faith in God which kept the congregation strong during this period.

Rev. Glenn Coleman was called in 1952 and remained for five years. He was followed by Rev. Donald Geshwindt in 1957. It was during his pastorate that an annex to the church was built. This was to serve as both an educational unit and a social center. The building was completed and dedicated on September 25, 1960. The addition was made at a cost of $32,000 and has been well worth its cost as it has been used constantly by numerous groups for regular and special activities besides its use for the Sunday School.

Rev. Geschwindt resigned in 1962. During the vacancy of the Charge, Jack and Leatha Archer, students at the Lancaster Theological Seminary, supplied the congregation until Rev. John Hench was called in 1963. He resigned in 1967 when the Charge was dissolved. Each church went its own way. This was the first time in the history of both the Zion Church and Trinity, Hublersburg, that the congregation had endeavored to support a minister on its own. In 1968 Rev. Truman Baker was called to serve Trinity Church. In the years that followed, both pastor and people have worked together in unity to further the work of the Kingdom of God in their own place.

Since November 2015, our present pastor is Rev Keith G. Koch

Pastors who have served Trinity Congregation:

  • 2010-2013   Robert Jeffrey Munnis
  • 2009-2010   Thomas Searfoss (Interim Pastor)
  • 2004-2008   Paula Burn
  • 2003-2004   Lisa Grant
  • 2002-2002   David Meyer (Interim Pastor)
  • 1988-2001   John Hench
  • 1985-1987   John McBride
  • 1968-1985   Truman S. Baker
  • 1963-1967   John Hench
  • 1962-1963   Leatha & Jack Archer (Interim Pastors)
  • 1957-1962   Donald Geschwindt
  • 1952-1957   Glenn Coleman
  • 1949-1951   Richard W. Johnson
  • 1945-1948   Warren O. Ziegler
  • 1941-1944   Charles Link
  • 1931-1940   James B. Musser
  • 1924-1931   Harry A. Hartman
  • 1917-1921   Charles H. Faust
  • 1912-1916   William A. Hoover
  • 1900-1911   H.I. Crow
  • 1896-1900   James Runkle
  • 1894-1896   Charles M. Smith
  • 1891-1894   F. W. Brown
  • 1882-1891   David O. Shoemaker
  • 1876-1882   George P. Hartzell
  • 1874-1875   H. D. Darbaker
  • 1872-1873   J. K. Millet